Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Carolyn Braden's Kinders: Pretty Impressive Line Art!

Today I started my Kinders out with line art. I named the lines Carrie Curvy, Dottie Diagonal, Zion Zig Zag, Harriet Horizontal and Victor Vertical. I tell the students poems I made up about each line and they repeat after me. We draw Harriet first, then Dottie, Carrie, Zion and Victor, in that order. I do a guided drawing for this, using Microsoft Paint projected on a screen. It's my "magic paper". When they finish the drawing they always know what they drew: a pool with a fence and slide. One said today it looked like a water park.
Then they practiced their coloring skills.
I love doing guided drawings. Their art always turns out great! I always allow for the students to put their own twists on their drawings to make it their own. It shows students that drawings are just lines and shapes put together in different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment