Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Ms. Braden's Back to School "Virtual" Newsletter


Dear Schaffner Parents/Guardians,
I will be giving your students a newsletter the first week of school. Here is my "virtual" version of it. I'm looking forward to meeting your students!

Welcome Back
My name is Carolyn Braden and I am so happy to be joining the staff at Schaffner Traditional Elementary. This will be my 8th year teaching visual art. I plan to excite your student about all the wonderful things art brings to our world.  Bookmark my virtual art room, http://bradensartstars.blogspot.com, on your computers. Throughout the year, I will periodically take photos of your student’s artwork in progress and upload them to this blog site. I also blog about upcoming projects. Thank you in advance for your support to make this year a success! If you ever have any questions, feel free to contact me. You may call me at 485-8217 or e-mail me at carolyn.braden@jefferson.kyschools.us.

Art Class Rules
Be Safe, Be Motivated, Be Respectful, Be a Leader

Behavior Information
My discipline procedures/consequences for the art room:
1: REMIND, Student will receive a warning. (Three strikes).
2. REST, Student will be moved to a time out location and have a verbal reflection with an adult.
3: RESTORE, Student will be moved to a time out location in the classroom with a constructive assignment (Written Reflection), phone call home.
4:  RESTRICT, Student will move to a time out location, receive another constructive assignment that will be sent home for them to complete and it MUST be returned to me the next school day signed by a parent or guardian, phone call home.
5:  REFERRAL, School referral, phone call home.

Grading
For all students, projects are graded based on these guidelines:
1. Uses art media, processes, and techniques carefully.
2. Applies the Elements of Art and the Principles of Design to their artwork
3. Identifies characteristics and purposes of artwork from different cultures and time periods.

Grades 3-5 will take art quizzes and will complete writing assignments after completing projects.  Grades K-2 will have grades based on participation and following project guidelines.

Theme
I like to start each school year out with a theme. This year, my theme is "Just be you!" I will be encouraging the students to be true to who they are and to celebrate their uniqueness. I want students to realize how special their talents are to the world. 

Please send an old shirt (an oversized t-shirt works best) with your student to wear during art class. Our projects are sometimes messy and the shirt will protect their uniforms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment